Kawahara 1/10th 220mm GPR

Kawahara 1/10th 220mm GPR

Japanese company Kawahara are playing with the concept of introducing a new class based on the 1/10th 200mm class, called GPR. Essentially they are saying that due to the power of modern .12 engines that the cars have become more difficult to control. What they are suggesting is to use new wheels and tires that see the front increased to 30mm wide and the rear to 40mm wide, which will help get the power to the track and make the cars easier to drive. To compliment this they have also proposed a new 220mm wide Group C bodyshell, with a GT and Saloon car also planned, and a new wider front bumper which protects the new wider car that will be available for the Mugen MTX-4 and Kyosho V-One RRR. I’m not too convinced by the idea, as a major part of the skill of racing is to be able to handle that power, and also remember that the world had a class like this already – 235mm.

Click more to see the body and bumper…

Kawahara 1/10th 220mm GPR

Source: Kawahara [kawahara-racing.co.jp]

Categories - Industry, Kawahara, Products, Racing

Usage

If you republish any elements from this page on another website, including text, original pictures or formatted results please be sure to add a link back to this page as the source.

Comments

1. M. Bellville - February 15th, 2008 at 01:34

Is this not stepping back towards the 235 mm class that died a few years back, when we had the Origenal Serpent Impact, Picco Integra, BMT, Mugen Avance, and the various others. Would it not be easier to just bring the 235 mm IC Class back. My Avance is just sitting idle waiting for some action once more.

2. _cyclops_ - February 15th, 2008 at 07:42

Yeah, this feels like bringing back the 235mm class.. then just do that!

I don’t think there’s lots of space for another class..

3. ianhobbies - February 15th, 2008 at 08:23

well at least we can still use our current 200mm cars..but i don’t agree to the change in body width..much better if we still use a lola body to a max of 200mm only

4. AddictedToRacing - February 15th, 2008 at 09:46

Why don’t they produce parts to make a 235mm car out of the 200mm ones? Then you need nearly no parts! We already converted a Serpent 720 and a XRAY NT1 without a problem only with the available parts from Serpent.

5. SHY - February 15th, 2008 at 11:51

I personally like the idea. I’ve driven 1:8 TR and 1:12 TR for a long time. I’ve also tried 200mm but didn’t like it due to the narrow chassis, narrow wheels and it’s weakness as to traction rolling. Same goes for 190mm electric. If someone slightly touch your car you’re lying upside down before you know it… These cars are “family cars” and not race cars in my opinion. Also with the power these days they should have wider tires and more downforce!

The good old 235mm cars were great btw! Especially since they were 2WD originally and used low priced restricted engines, they were the perfect beginner class cars!

Still, 200mm is the biggest fuel track class now. And it can be dangerous and unwise to mess with it. For small countries there’s also not room for a new class. Where 1:8 TR is dead it might be a good alternative though?

6. jimjav - February 15th, 2008 at 12:05

I’m a fan of 235mm. I love that scale. When it was 2wd was the perfect scale, not very expensive, improve your skills. It was a school for drivers.

I have a serpent’s 835 and i still think that it’s much better than any 200mm car.

7. cracker - February 15th, 2008 at 17:42

235mm was awesome. 2wd with sedan bodies and a bb .15 were a blast to drive, and not too expensive. I wish I still had my Serpent Impact…

I see no need for this class – just go back to 235!

8. Ziggy12345 - February 16th, 2008 at 14:37

235 requires another car and there is only one on he market. At least with this class you can use the existing 200mm car and be able to drive it on the limit. I love racing Lola and will be getting the tyres as soon as they are available

9. AddictedToRacing - February 16th, 2008 at 20:43

He Ziggy, you don’t have to use a Serpent. You can easily convert every existing scale car to a 235mm one!

10. Ziggy12345 - February 18th, 2008 at 15:53

Anybody know where there are pics of the 220mm wide GT shells?

11. Allan - February 25th, 2008 at 07:59

Hi AddictedToRacing,

Can you send some pictures of your NT1 that you converted to 235mm?

Thanks.

12. M. Bellville - February 26th, 2008 at 00:41

235 was both 2wd and 4wd, as long time ago there were 2wd and 4wd 1/8 cars.

13. M. Bellville - February 26th, 2008 at 00:43