With an incredible consistent run, German Frank Hättich has earned himself the 2009 World Championship title in 1:10 Touring car. He faced strong competition of 2009 World Series champ Luciano Assis and 2008 World Champ Ronald Volker, but they had no answer to Frank’s flawless 45 minute final run. Frank’s slowest lap was 17.740 sec. in his 88th lap of totally 159 laps, truly world championship material! Assis and Völker complete the podium 8 and 23 seconds behind Hättich.
In the beginning Assis was running away from the complete field, building up a 5 second gap on Hättich around lap 70 and 10 seconds on Volker. Volker was the only one from the top-3 who decided to change tires in lap 80 which dropped him down another 8 seconds. So the race was between Hättich and Assis, just 2 seconds apart until his pit stop at lap 125. Assis was struggling for 3-4 laps, recording a 19, 18 and 17 second lap loosing some 6 seconds on Hättich who never let Assis come back after that and drove home to victory. With this World Championship title Frank Hättich confirmed a fantastic 2009 season where he is also the leader in the 2009 1:10 scale ranking.
In an effort to save himself 1 pit stop Matt Kellett ran out of fuel which cost him a top-4 position but would probably not have made the podium. Sebastian Bürge (De) had a very good run for 4th spot, just 1 lap down on Völker. The race for 5th place was very close, just 3 seconds separating Stefan Andersson (Se), Keven Hébert (Ca) and Matt Kellett (Au) after 156 laps.
Top-10 Main Final
1. Frank Hättich (DE) 159 Laps 45:06.904 (1/2)
2. Luciano Assis (BR) 159 Laps 45:14.676 (2/2)
3. Ronald Völker (DE) 158 Laps 45:14.167 (1/2)
4. Sebastian Bürge (DE) 157 Laps 45:13.319 (1/2)
5. Stefan Andersson (SE) 156 Laps 45:05.424 (2/2)
6. Keven Hébert (CA) 156 Laps 45:07.896 (1/2)
7. Matt Kellett (AU) 156 Laps 45:08.536 (2/2)
8. Maxime Favrelle (FR) 155 Laps 45:03.867 (2/2)
9. Volker Brunke (DE) 155 Laps 45:13.117 (2/2)