The 4th Round of the British 1/8th scale Nationals was hosted by the Halifax club over the last weekend of June. The weather forecast was for a warm weekend which prevailed apart from a wet track on Saturday morning which soon dried out to allow a meaningful practice session. Sunday greeted the drivers with bright sunshine with the committee allowing a 7 minute practice session in heat format before 4 rounds of qualifying. After round one, it was Andy North who held TQ with a steady run without a fuel stop after Kyle Branson made a mistake exiting the pits. In Round 2, it was Kyle Branson who inherited Top spot with a clear run. The order stayed much the same throughout the day, but Tim Wood managed to displace Andy North into second position.
1. Kyle Branson – Serpent / Sirio – 20 Laps 303 secs
2. Tim Wood – Serpent / Exceed – 20 Laps 306 secs
3. Andy North – Mugen / IDM / Contact – 20 Laps 309 secs
4. Pete Hastings – Shepherd / IDM / – 20 Laps 309 .8 secs
5. Adam Catchpole – Shepherd / Orcan – 20 Laps 310 secs
6. Mark Green – Serpent / Novarossi – 20 Laps 310 secs
7. Neil Diver – Shepherd / IDM – 20 Laps 312 secs
8. Andrew Hastings – Shepherd / IDM – 20 Laps 316 secs
9. James Connolly – Motonica – 19 Laps 303 secs
10.Jason Frost – Serpent / IDM – 19 Laps 303 secs
The final started with Andy North in the pits due to a blown glow plug. Up front Kyle was pulling out a lead over Tim Wood and a hard chasing Mark Green. At this point Pete Hastings and Neil Diver where in contention to challenge for a podium finish but both fell away with car problems. Andy Hastings however was keeping out of trouble and would finish fourth but would move up to third after Mark Green was disqualified for an over sized fuel tank. Up front the order never changed with Kyle taking a deserved win from Tim Wood.
The final results are as follows:
1. Kyle Branson – Serpent / Sirio – 116 Laps
2. Tim Wood – Serpent / Exceed – 115 Laps
3. Andrew Hastings – Shepherd / IDM – 112 Laps
4. Adam Catchpole – Shepherd / Orcan – 112 Laps
5. James Connolly – Motonica – 108 Laps
6. Andy North – Mugen / IDM / Contact – 106 Laps
7. Pete Hastings – Shepherd / IDM / – 103 Laps
8. Neil Diver – Shepherd / IDM – 96 Laps
9. Jason Frost – Serpent / IDM – 74 Laps
10.Mark Green – Serpent / Novarossi – DQ
Round 5 of the Championship is in a couple of weeks at the Adur circuit in Brighton.
Thanks to Andy North for the report.
If you republish any elements from this page on another website, including text, original pictures or results please be sure to add a link back to this page as the source: