The third round of this year’s BRCA 1/8th Circuit National Championship was hosted by the Mendip circuit in Weston Super Mare with the main championship contenders of Green and Wood being in attendance again after ETS and Holiday commitments. In Qualifying, it was Green who had the upper hand all day with the chasing pack consisting of Tim Wood, Neal King and Andy Hastings. The gap between the top 2 was around 4 seconds in 5 minutes which gave Green a good advantage for the finals. Tire wear was very high all weekend since this track is not used much in recent years and would be a big factor in the 30 minute main final.
Qualifying top 10:
1. Mark Green – Serpent/Novarossi – 20L 309s
2. Tim Wood – Serpent/OS – 20L 313s
3. Neal King – Capricorn/Tesla – 20L 314s
4. Andrew Hastings – Shepherd/Sonic – 19L 300s
5. Ashley Gouveia – Shepherd/Sonic – 19L 301s
6. John Carr – Serpent/OS – 19L 303s
7. Andrew North – Mugen/Sirio – 19L 303s
8. Jason Frost – Capricorn/XRD – 19L 305s
9. Steve Scott – Serpent/RB – 18L 300s
10.Chris Simons – Serpent/Novarossi – 18L 301s
The A-final started in formation order with no accidents and up front it was Green steadily pulling out a lead over Tim Wood and Neal King. The first major casualty was King on lap 42 with a stripped belt and promoted John Carr into third position. The next retirement was Andy Hastings with a broken pinion gear which would result in him dropping valuable championship points. Green at this point had pulled out a 2 lap lead and therefore decided to make an extra fuel stop just as precaution with Wood settling for second position and John Carr third, 3 laps behind but making it a clean sweep for team Serpent.
1. Mark Green – Serpent/Novarossi – 112 Laps
2. Tim Wood – Serpent/OS – 111 Laps
3. John Carr – Serpent/OS – 108 laps
4. Ashley Gouveia – Shepherd/Sonic –106 Laps
5. Jason Frost – Capricorn/XRD – 105 laps
6. Andrew North – Mugen/Sirio – 104 laps
7. Steve Scott – Serpent/RB – 100 laps
8. Andrew Hastings – Shepherd/Sonic – 99 laps
9. Neal King – Capricorn/Tesla – 42 Laps
10.Chris Simons – Serpent/Novarossi – DNS
Next meeting will be at Halifax over the weekend of 30/31 May.